Wednesday, April 30, 2014

MOPAR or no car!

Dear Will,

I wanted to talk to you today about having favorite things and what that means as you get older.  Right now as a 2 year old boy you have a few things you love.  Movies, chocolate (we are going to blame your mom for that), and of course your blue jacket.  I too have my favorite things and while it would make me the happiest dad ever if my favorite things became your favorite things, I want you to make up your own mind...with a few exceptions the we will tackle along the way.

The number one rule in our house is that at no time in your life will you be allowed or will it be tolerated to root or like the New York Yankees.  We root for the Boston Red Sox and that is something you were born into and have to adopt as your own.  Sorry pal, but this one is being decided for you.  You will understand as you get older why, but this is just one of those things you have to go with me on.

In the big picture in all of this is the idea that we all have things we like and you shouldn't let others dictate that to you.  Yeah I know I am dictating the Red Sox to you, but that is a good thing.  Someday you are going to find yourself in a place where others disagree with what you like and you might feel a bit uncomfortable.  It is ok for others to have their opinions, just as it is ok for you to have yours.  Your opinion tells other people who you are by allowing them to see what you like and dislike.  You and I will not always like the same things and we both know we will not always agree on what you are doing, but I will learn to listen and respect your opinions.  That leads us to the next rule you need to learn.


I stole this from Stephen Covey

Rule:  Seek first to understand then to be understood.

What this means is to listen to others before asserting yourself or your opinions onto others.  Listen to others to gain new perspectives, new ideas, or to strengthen your own arguments.  I get annoyed by people constantly telling me what to think, how to feel, and what is right and wrong.  In the end it is up to you just as it is up to me to make my own decisions.  Yet, I listen to what other folks have to say to guide me.  Your mom is a huge help to me except for when it has to deal with cars, motorcycles, the house, you, your sister, and most other things.  :)  Yet I love all of her and her help.  Remember the earlier rule.  A happy wife is a happy life.


You can see in my links some of my favorite things ad who knows maybe they will become some of your favorite things.  Just remember to think for yourself and listen to others just for knowledge sake.

Love ya!

Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment